Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Victory Gardens

During World War I and World War II, the United States government asked its citizens to plant gardens in order to support the war effort. Millions of people planted gardens.

Ok, So its not WWII. And the Government is not asking us to have a victory garden.

But, WHY NOT DO IT ANYWAY.

Planting a Victory Garden to fight global warming would reduce the amount of pollution your food contributes to global warming. Instead of traveling many miles from farm to table, your food would travel from your own garden to your table.

Just a little bit in a small container can make a difference.

One 5 gallon bucket can house a tomato plant.

Last month my 80 year old Neighbor asked me if I could help in his garden. He said I could use the green house for my use, and have half of the produce from his garden. Just as long as I did all the weeding. With prices of food so high, how could I say NO?


So here is the first of the Victory Garden....


We had Salad.

The best tasting salad ever.
Was it the best Lettuce? Who Knows.
I can say, that It made me so happy to know that I created it (helped it along) .
It was the best ever.. I am so happy that I am doing this for me and my family.

My husband is so happy,
he is drawing up plans for our own Greenhouse.


The tomatoes are next......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want a green house. Our growing season over here is quite a bit shorter and it would be nice to start things earlier. Great lettuce! I picked my 1st spinach tonight. My lettuce is just about ready too.

Amber Strehle said...

Sooo AWESOME!! Go Girl Go!! I'm GREEN (wink wink..nod nod) with envy.